Since the rainy season has started, we should always be prepared by knowing what to do before, during and after a typhoon.
PH Prone to Typhoons
The Philippines is located near the Equator in the Pacific Region and this makes us more prone to typhoons especially during the rainy season. Hence, to lessen possible damages that typhoons can cause, below are reminders that we should keep in mind.
What to do before a typhoon
It is important to monitor updates about the weather especially if there is a possibility of a low pressure area (LPA) to develop into a typhoon and if your area will be affected by it.
Here are things that you should do before a typhoon hits your area:
- Listen to weather updates and advisories.
- Keep watch for warnings and plans regarding evacuation in your community.
- Check your house’s condition and make necessary repairs.
- Keep your typhoon kit in an area where you can easily get it in case of emergency.
- Bring your pets and livestock in the designated evacuation area for animals. If not, keep them in a safe place.
- Evacuate immediately once asked by the authorities to do so.
What to do during a typhoon
During a typhoon, listen to weather updates if possible, stay alert for any sign of threat in your area and do the following:
- Remain calm and stay inside your house or the evacuation center.
- Turn off main switch for utilities like water and electricity.
- Have a flashlight or lamp in hand in case of emergency and loss of electricity.
- Keep away from possible dangers like glass windows.
What to do after a typhoon
Even after a typhoon has passed, we should still be alert and cautious because a its aftermath can still post danger to us. Here are things to remember after a typhoon:
- Before returning home, wait for authorities to announce that it is safe to go back to your area.
- Keep away from danger.
- structures with damages
- fallen trees
- damaged power lines
- Give way to rescue and emergency teams.
- Be extra careful when making repairs at home.
- Before switching the electricity on, make sure there are no wet or submerged outlets or appliances.
- Check for possible breeding places for mosquitoes and remove rainwater.