According to the 8:00 AM update of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) today, February 22, 2021 (Monday), tropical depression Auring has turned North-Northwestward and is now heading towards Eastern Samar.
And, on the forecast track and its probability cone, Auring may initially make landfall over Eastern Samar in the next 6 to 12 hours as a tropical depression or a remnant low pressure area.
Location of Eye
According to PAGASA, at 7 AM today, the center of Auring was estimated based on all available data at 205 km East Northeast of Maasin City, Southern Leyte or 85 km East of Guiuan, Eastern Samar (11.0 °N, 126.5 °E ).
Movement and Strenght
Auring is moving North Northwestward at 20 km/h and with maximum sustained winds of 45 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 55 km/h.
Tomorrow morning, February 23, 2021, Auring’s forecast position is at 60 km Northwest of Romblon, Romblon (12.9°N, 121.8°E).
Hazards Affecting Land Areas
Today, moderate to heavy rains will be experienced over:
- Bicol Region
- Northern Samar
- Eastern Samar
While the following areas will experience light to moderate with at times heavy rains today over:
- Rest of Visayas, MIMAROPA, and CALABARZON
And tomorrow, light to moderate with at times heavy rains will be experienced over:
- Metro Manila
- Camarines Norte
- Cagayan including Babuyan Islands, and Batanes
PAGASA added that “under these conditions, isolated to scattered flooding (including flash floods) and rain-induced landslides are still likely during heavy or prolonged rainfall especially in areas that are highly or very highly susceptible to these hazards as identified in hazard maps and in localities that received significant rainfall over the past couple of days.”
Furthermore, adjacent or nearby areas may also experience flooding in the absence of such rainfall occurrence due to surface runoff or swelling of river channels.
According to PAGASA, in the next 24 hours, the combined effects of the Northeast Monsoon and Auring will bring strong breeze conditions with occasionally higher gusts over:
- Areas where Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) #1 is in effect
- Oriental Mindoro
- Babuyan Islands
- Northern portions of Ilocos Norte and mainland Cagayan
- Cuyo Islands
- Cagayancillo Islands
- Rest of Visayas and Bicol Region
Hazards Affecting Coastal Waters
As stated in the forecast, rough seas will be experienced in the next 24 hour over:
- Seaboards of areas under TCWS #1
- Eastern seaboard of Central Luzon
- Eastern seaboard of Southern Luzon not under any TCWS (2.5 to 3.5 m)
- Southern seaboard of Luzon
- Remaining seaboards of Visayas (2.5 to 3.0 m).
Furthermore, PAGASA said in the forecast that, sea travel is risky especially for those using small seacrafts.
In addition, moderate to rough seas will be experienced over:
- Remaining seaboards of Luzon
- Northern, eastern, and western seaboards of Mindanao not under any TCWS
“Mariners of small seacrafts are advised to take precautionary measures when venturing out to sea. Inexperienced mariners should avoid navigating in these conditions,” PAGASA added.
Areas with TCW Signal No. 1
The following areas are under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 1:
- Masbate including Ticao and Burias Islands
- Eastern portion of Camarines Sur (Caramoan, Presentacion, Sagnay, Buhi, Iriga City, Nabua, Bato, Balatan)
- Northern Samar
- Eastern Samar
- Southern Leyte
- Northern portion of Cebu (Balamban, Cebu City, Mandaue City, Lapu-Lapu City, Consolacion, Liloan, Compostela, Asturias, Danao City, Carmen, Catmon, Sogod, Tuburan, Borbon, San Remigio, Tabuelan, Tabogon, Bogo City, Medellin, Daanbantayan) including Bantayan and Camotes Islands, the northern portion of Negros Occidental (Enrique B. Magalona, Victorias City, Manapla, Cadiz City, Sagay City, Toboso, Escalante City, Calatrava)
- Eastern portion of Capiz (Cuartero, Dumarao, Ma-Ayon, Pontevedra, Panay, President Roxas, Panitan, Dao, Pilar)
- Eastern portion of Iloilo (Lemery, Ajuy, Sara, Concepcion, San Dionisio, Batad, Estancia, Balasan, Carles, San Rafael, Passi City, Barotac Viejo, Banate, San Enrique)
- Dinagat Islands
- Surigao del Norte
Furthermore, PAGASA’s next weather bulletin will be issued at 11:AM today.
For More News and Updates
Looking for more news and updates? Feel free to explore our BCG website and our official Facebook page. You may also check out our official BCG YouTube channel to catch a variety of video content. Stay safe, everyone!