Under Memorandum Circular 2019-2176, the Land Transformation Office (LTO) will require all applicants of student driver permit to undergo a 15-hour driving seminar or the Theoretical Driving Course starting April 6.
What is Memorandum Circular 2019-2176?
This memorandum was issued last December 2019. It tackles the rules and regulations on accreditation, supervision, and control of driving, institutions, and on standardization of driver education.
Theoretical Driving Course
As stated in the memorandum, the permit will be issued upon completion of the mandatory 15-hour theoretical driving seminar and shall be completed within 2 years from the start of the course.
Two Phases of the Course of Instruction
- Classroom/ Theoretical Instruction – Must not be less than 15 hours.
- Practical Driving Instruction – Must not be less than 8 hours.
Who Can Avail the Student Driver’s Permit?
- Filipino and foreign citizens whose age is 16 years old and above.
- Holder of expired driver’s license of 10 years or more.
Checklist of Requirements
- Duly accomplished Application for Driver’s License (ADL).
- Original and photocopy of Birth Certificate and Marriage Contract (for married women) duly authenticated by the National Statistics Office (NSO) /Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).
- For minors, original copy of duly notarized parent’s consent or affidavit of a person having custody/care or supervision over the minor applicant authorizing the applicant to secure a student permit with original and photocopy of 1 valid government-issued ID of the parent/affiant with photo and signature.
- Original and one copy of any issued ID with photo and signature of the applicant.
- Electronically transmitted Medical Certificate in LTO prescribed form issued by LTO accredited clinic. (Present hard copy).
- In addition, for foreigners, original and one photocopy of passport with the entry date of at least 1 month and visa duration of at least 1 year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, original and photocopy of the birth certificate duly authenticated by NSO / PSA.
- Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN), if employed.
Accredited to Conduct the Driving Course
The mandatory theoretical driving course will be conducted by LTO and LTO accredited driving schools.
Issuance of Certificate
After completion of the driving course, a Certificate of Driving Course Completion will be issued by the driving school. The certificate must contain the following:
- Complete name, nationality, date of birth, sex and address of the student,
- Issuance date of the certificate,
- Electronically captured picture,
- Course/s completed particularly the type of the motor vehicles used during the training for guidance in determining driver’s license code, and
- Control number of the certificate and signature of the enrolled driving instructor.