During the City Hall Hour today, May 28, 2020, Head of the City Mayor’s Office Permits and Licensing Division (PLD) Allan Abayao said that all online businesses are required to apply for business permits.
“Based on our Tax Ordinance, it states that it is illegal for any person to enter into a business without securing a business permit. So based on that, lahat po ng online, regardless if you’re a student or not, you have to secure a business permit po.”
– PLD Head Allan Abayao
Online Selling in Baguio City
Abayao said that before ECQ, there are at least 52 registered online marketing businesses and 22 dropping center in Baguio City.
However, he said that during the implementation of ECQ and GCQ in the city, the number of unregistered online businesses has increased. “During the ECQ and GCQ, nagmumushroom po ang online marketing and as per our monitoring, meron na pong 250 na wala pang business permits.”
Online Marketing through Facebook
In addition, the head of PLD said, “Online selling and the operation of dropping areas, which both charge separate fees, fall within the ambit of the local tax measure.
Online sellers post their items on Facebook and once they agree on a price with a buyer, the item is either brought to a dropping area or handed personally by meeting up.
Online Sellers Advised to Apply for Business Permit
In the end, Abayao said that in order to make their business operations legal, online sellers are advised to process their business permits at the PLD at the Baguio City Hall.
Abayao explained that they have to download the business permit application form and follow the regular requirements.
Requirements for the Business Permit Application
- Barangay Business Clearance (Original)
- Lease Contract/Award of Notice/Authorization/Mall Certification if leasing/Proof of Ownership for Real Estate Lessor and Proprietors (Photocopy)
- Locational/Zoning Clearance:
- City Planning Office or
- Market Office (if located within the market vicinity)
- Health Clearance (Baguio Health Department)
- Building Clearance (City Buildings and Architecture Office-CBAO)
- Sewerage and Parks Clearance (City Environment and Parks Management Office-CEPMO)
- Fire Safety Clearance: (Baguio Fire Station)
- DTI for Trade Name Registration (Photocopy)
- SEC Registration for Corporation or partnership (Photocopy) – if applicable
- CDA Registration for Cooperative (Photocopy) – if applicable
For further concerns, kindly contact 074 300-6573.