A man from Estonia who lived in the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) for more than 100 days due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and the community quarantine in the Philippines finally got to fly home yesterday, July 7, 2020.
In a Facebook post last night, Roman Trofimov confirmed that he is already on a flight bound for Tallinn.
Man trapped in the Manila International Airport
Previously, through a Facebook post last July 3, 2020, Trofimov went public to tell his story and to ask for help in order to fly home to Estonia.
Trofimov pleaded for help through his post, saying that after being stranded for more than 100 days, he was left with no choice but to go public because he is disabled and his health is getting worse due to malnutrition and his condition in the airport.
Also according to the same post, he arrived in Manila on March 20, 2020. He was supposedly bound for a holiday in Cebu but he had been denied entry as the country no longer issued visas-upon-arrivals during that time.
His arrival happened only days after a Luzonwide Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) has been declared, which included guidelines restricting travels by air, land, and sea. Thus, his flight to Cebu was also canceled.
Furthermore, he also revealed that the airline that flew him to the Philippines took his passport and stopped operations on the same day, therefore, not allowing him to leave the country. Trofimov also said that the airline, AirAsia, told him that he has to wait for the ECQ to be over before he can fly home.
He also tried to seek help from the Estonian Consulate in Manila but they were cannot organize a repatriation flight for him.
SOURCE: Roman Trofimov